Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Best Ever Chocolate Nutella Mug Cake

Tonight I am featuring two blog posts, dessert AND dinner for you hungry readers!  I had some fun experimenting in the kitchen tonight and both turned out delicious, so I wanted to share it with you all!  Plus I have messages from friends asking for the recipes, NOW.

We wanted something sweet post dinner and since we are both trying super hard not to leave the cookie jar full of Girl Scout cookies empty, I opted for something small.  Not sure if it was the healthiest thing, but it was a small amount of cake that was just right to satisfy our sweet tooth without feeling guilty.  Plus I threw on some strawberries and blackberries.  Boom. Fruit.

I've made a mug cake before, but it turned out dense and chewy, and frankly, not good.  But I really wanted cake tonight and something quick, so I did some research and found a couple of helpful tips!  Use self rising flour for best results and instead of splitting an egg, use the whole egg and make 2 cakes.  Both of these together will yield fluffy, light, and chocolate-y cakes.  And the best tip of all, ALWAYS USE NUTELLA. Because, it's Nutella.

This recipe makes enough for 2, perfect for sharing.  Or don't share.  I don't judge.

Chocolate Nutella Mug Cake


2 tbs vegetable oil
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup self rising flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbs cocoa powder
1/4 cup chocolate chips of choice
2 tsp Nutella
Sliced berries, garnish, optional

Whisk vegetable oil, milk, egg, and vanilla.  Add flour, sugar, and cocoa powder and mix well.  In 2 mugs, evenly distribute chocolate chips and pour in the cake batter evenly into both mugs.  Add 1 tsp each of Nutella into each mug.

Heat both mug cakes in the microwave for 90 seconds on "high".  Check cakes after 90 seconds and if cake springs back when touching it, they are ready!  If not, heat on 15 second intervals until cooked through.

Garnish with sliced berries and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment