Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Cajun Mahi Mahi with Smashed Jalapeno and Garlic Sweet Potatoes

I've started a clean eating challenge with my sister's help where I eat only whole, non-processed food, with no cheating for a few weeks.  This coupled with exercise should help me shed a few pounds and/or inches in a healthy way and hopefully keep it off!  Then eventually in a few weeks, I can add in a cheat day here and there, not everyday or every other day, but maybe once a week.

It's day 8 and I'm feeling pretty great and I'm not really craving as much as I used to.  It hasn't been too difficult keeping up with the healthy eating habits, but it has been a challenge with the willpower and fitting in my workouts. What's been helpful is putting together a meal plan for the week and hitting the gym first thing in the morning before work.  On Sunday we have been getting groceries and then based on what we've purchased, I put together meals for the week.  This includes, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and two snacks. I followed last week's carefully, and this week it's already become a habit.  We go to bed early most of the time, but I make it a clear point now to avoid any late nights so I can wake up in time for the gym.  Gotta make those sacrifices. I have definitely had a few "pat myself on the back" moments, even if they were small, like taking off that extra slice of thin cheese off my sandwich, or not ordering a calorie laden drink, and avoiding even a bite of pizza while watching the Texans lose.  If I'm gonna have those things, I'm going to make them count by eating the cheesiest pizza and having the coldest and tastiest drink I can and enjoy them fully on my cheat day.  But until I feel like I can handle a cheat and not fall off the wagon, I have to power through and make this a lifestyle.  The hubs and my sister are great motivators and keep me going and are the only ones I can show my progress pics to.  Because frankly, they are awkward half naked selfies.

Our dinners for the most part have not included any bread or rice, maybe the occasional whole wheat or corn tortilla, but mainly it's a meat and two veggies.  Hubs and I love our veggies.

I made cajun seasoned mahi mahi the other night and served it on top of jalapeno and garlic smashed sweet potatoes and along side were our favorite roasted green beans.  It was my first time cooking mahi and mahi and I'm not sure we are huge fans.  It's too "meaty" for our liking when it comes to fish.  We like the flakiness of salmon much better.  The taste was good and we finished our meals, but I think we will lay off the purchase of more mahi mahi for a while.

The sweet potatoes.  Yum.  I boiled the sweet potatoes with jalapeno and garlic cloves and mashed it all together into a merry union of creamy delicious-ness.  You do not need any butter or cream or sour cream or milk or any other dairy in these potatoes to make them creamy!  However, any and all of those things in my sweet potatoes, or yours, would be amazing.


Cajun Mahi Mahi:

2 filets of Mahi Mahi fish
Sea Salt
Black Pepper
Cajun Seasoning (your favorite, with no salt added)
Canola Cooking Spray

Season the filets with salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning on both sides.  Heat a medium skillet to about medium to medium high and spray with cooking oil.  Cook the filets on both sides, for about 5 minutes on each side, depending on thickness.  You want the fish to cook to an opaque white.  Don't overcook it! Remember, it's fish.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Smashed Jalapeno Garlic Sweet Potatoes:

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, diced into same size chunks
1 jalapeno, de-seeded and de-veined to your heat level, chunked
3 cloves garlic, peeled
Sea Salt
Black Pepper

Boil the potatoes with the jalapeno and garlic cloves until potatoes are fork tender.  Drain, reserving just a tiny bit of water in the pot.  Smash up the potatoes with the cloves and jalapeno inside, add salt and pepper to taste.  If you did not leave enough liquid in the pot to get a good consistency, add some broth, or other liquid.  I had left just enough to get them to be the creamy that we liked.

Enjoy!

The different looks of appetizing in insta form.


2 comments: