Tuesday, August 20, 2013

30 Minute Meal--Gnocchi with Walnut Pesto and Lime Garlic Shrimp

Visited a farmer's market today for the first time and it was so great.  I love the little stalls and the goodies these people sell!  I scored a bag of trail mix with no peanuts or raisins...i hate raisins.  He makes them with almonds, cashews, dried strawberries, blueberries, and cranberries. YUM.  I also picked up an almond croissant and a loaf of sourdough, some pickling cucumbers and an eggplant, and picked up a smoothie from the Juice Girl truck for my ride home.  This has become my new favorite thing.

Got home a little later than usual, so I wanted to put together something quick.  One of the stalls was selling homemade olive oil, one was infused with lemon, so that gave me the idea of making some lemon infused olive oil over the stove and toss in some shrimp.  I had gnocchi in the pantry and a basil plant with beautiful, fragrant leaves perfect for some pesto.  So I thought, let's combine all of this!

Unfortunately, I didn't have lemons, nor did I have parmesan for my pesto.  Called and texted the hubby, but he came back with neither. Great.  So I did what anyone would do...I chastised him for not calling me from the store to ask if I need anything and then I improvised.

It's a quick meal.  I used ready made gnocchi, threw together the pesto in my magic bullet (sans parmesan), and quickly sauteed the shrimp with some olive oil, lime zest, garlic, onions, bell peppers, and white wine. And then all of it was combined in a bowl.  Enjoy it with some crusty bread, we indulged in a slice of the fresh sourdough.


Gnocchi with Walnut Pesto and Lime Garlic Shrimp:

1 package Gnocchi (I used Trader Joe's or use homemade)
olive oil
1 tbs minced garlic
red pepper flakes
1/2 small onion, sliced
1/2 small red pepper, sliced
1 lime, zested
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails on optional)
1/2 cup white wine
salt
pepper
garlic powder
1 pat butter
1/2 cup walnut pesto (make your own or use some that you already have on hand)

Heat a skillet over medium heat and add enough olive oil to coat the pan.  Throw in the minced garlic, lime zest, and pepper flakes.  Cook until fragrant.  Add the onions and bell pepper and cook until they have softened down.  Add shrimp, and squeeze in the juice of the zested lime.  Cook for one minute and then add the wine.  Let this cook down for about 2 minutes and season the shrimp with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Add the pat of butter.  The mixture should not be dry, do not overcook the shrimp or burn off all the liquid.

Turn the heat to low and stir the pesto into the shrimp.

Cook the gnocchi according to package instructions.

Toss gnocchi with the pesto lime shrimp and top with fresh basil.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment