Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Summer Eats

I'm here sitting in bed munching on a cookie and spilling crumbs in the bed, much to my hubby's dismay.  I'm trying to hide the evidence before he gets out of shower...

It's Ramadan or Ramazan time for us Muslims out there...a time for peace, reflection, and some praying.  It's honestly one of my favorite times of the year because all Muslims are doing the same thing at the same time and it's comforting and gives us this sense of community.  We come together during this time to do good for ourselves and for others.   

This year Ramazan landed during our Texas summer, where the heat is not to be messed with.  The fasts are long and challenging without the help of water.  Our days of fasting begin with "sehri," which is the morning meal eaten before the sun comes up.  Usually I make eggs or have almond butter and toast and at least 2 glasses of water.  At night though...that's when my real cooking begins.  For some reason, during Ramazan I crave really random foods, and tend to experiment/have more fun in the kitchen. Sadly, this year we have been eating out more than in, mostly at other people's homes for iftar parties.

Cooking during Ramazan puts my mind at ease and takes it off of the hunger.  Seems odd to some that something that involves food when fasting is therapeutic, but for me it works that way.  I can watch hours of cooking shows and read food blogs and that gets me through.

Tonight I put together something very quick and summer-y, so as not to stand over a hot stove longer than I needed to.  I've been seeing recipes for watermelon salad all over Pinterest and the web, and of course, started craving.  Watermelon SCREAMS summer!  Paired with cool cucumber and mint, it was delicious, fresh, and summer.  I decided to make shrimp as the main course, literally throwing things together that I had on hand! And there we have it, iftar.

Spicy Shrimp:
2 lbs large-jumbo shrimp (deveined, shells on)
olive oil
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
Sea salt
cracked black pepper
juice of 2 lemons
hot sauce (your favorite)
minced garlic
cayenne pepper
1/2 stick salted butter
parsley, chopped

Rinse shrimp under cold water and lay out in a single layer on large baking sheet or dish.  Drizzle over olive oil, Worcesteshire, lemon juice, and hot sauce.  Sprinkle on sea salt, a hefty helping of black pepper, a sprinkle of cayenne based on your spice level.  Throw on some minced garlic and sprinkle on the parsley.

Cut the butter into pats and lay on top of the shrimp.  Slip into the broiler for about 10 minutes.  Take out and let rest for about 5 minutes.  Dig in!  Use warm crusty bread to sop up the delicious juices!

Watermelon Salad:

2 cups cubed seedless watermelon
1/2 cucumber, diced1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives
1/2 cup feta
1 tbs chopped mint
balsamic glaze (bought or made w/ 1 cup balsamic vinegar and 1 tbs brown sugar heated to a boil, then heat reduced to a simmer until a syrup forms)

Combine, toss, and chill. Yum, yum!


Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment