Monday, February 25, 2013

Citrus Baked Chicken Fajitas

Hola friends!

I haven't cooked in a week, and it's made me feel not myself!  My husband was out of town last week so I took advantage of the time by spending some quality time with a few friends.  I missed my hubby and am glad he made it back from a successful trip, but it was good catching up, maybe a little gossiping, over food and drink with my girl friends :)

So today I finally got around to trying a recipe I've had up my sleeve for a few days.  I found the method on budget bytes, a blog I faithfully follow.  I followed the method used and made my own fajita recipe.

These fajitas are baked in the oven, so it's a wonderful one dish meal.  Who doesn't love that?  I threw everything into a baking dish and let it do its thing in the oven while I vegged out.  Most people probably decide to be productive during this time, but not me!  I plopped myself on the couch with a cup of chai, a blanket, and the remote.

Citrus is a great complement to chicken, so I figured it would work well for chicken fajitas.  And I figured right!  It added an amazing flavor to the chicken and vegetables which made these fajitas dynamite! yeah. dynamite.  Another great thing about this recipe is that you can make quite a bit at a time, which is exactly what I did.  I now have lunch for the rest of the week!

Shazad LOVED these and he's a beef fajitas kind of guy!  Next time, I'll try this method out on beef or shrimp.

These were enjoyed topped with some fresh spicy guacamole and a sprinkle of sea salt wrapped in fresh made whole wheat tortillas, with a side of organic refried black beans.


Citrus Baked Chicken Fajitas:
*You can scale this recipe down, I made this much so I could have leftovers for lunch.

3 chicken breasts, halved and sliced into strips
1 tbs sea salt
1/2 tbs black pepper
1/2 tbs garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp corn starch
1 tbs oil (I used olive)
1/2 lime
1/2 large orange

Combine all of the ingredients, including the juices of the citrus, and let sit for about 30 min.

Preheat oven to 400.  Start chopping and slicing your veggies!

1 large red bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 onion sliced thickly
5 large mushrooms, sliced
1 can diced tomatoes with peppers (Ro-tel), drained slightly
Jalapeño, sliced thickly (use to your liking)
Sprinkle of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder
Drizzle olive oil
1 tbs salted butter, or unsalted
Cilantro

Combine veggies (sans tomatoes and cilantro) in an oven safe baking dish, toss with spices and oil.  Add chicken and add the can of tomatoes on top.  Pop in the oven for 25 minutes.  Then add butter and squeeze in the other half of the lime and orange, and stir.  Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.  Sprinkle with cilantro.

Use your favorite tortillas and top with whatever condiments you wish!  Enjoy!











No comments:

Post a Comment