Friday, September 28, 2012

The Best Fried Chicken

Nope, not a post about fried chicken! But if you're wondering, Havana in Houston is supposed to have one of the best fried chicken meals. After having a weak moment and giving in to some fried chicken the other night (all because I read an article about the best fried chicken in Houston and began craving), I needed something fresh and clean to eat for lunch the next day.  So I am sharing with you a salad recipe that is very filling for being what some call "bird food."

This is literally things I had in my fridge that I threw in to the mixed greens left over from the crispy citrus-y chicken I made, and made extra balsamic dressing from the same recipe.  Feel free to make it your own!




Mixed Green Super Salad:

2 cups mixed greens (I used spinach and arugula)
4 strawberries hulled and cut in half
handful of grapes
1 tbsp feta crumbles
1 tbsp walnuts
1 tbsp cranberries
2 slices deli turkey chopped (or any other protein, or none, your call)
balsamic dressing

 Throw everything in with your greens and toss! Dressing on the side if you are going to eat it later to prevent the greens from wilting, or toss with the dressing and eat up!







A quick sidebar, I went to St. Genevieve's for a girls dinner last night, and I highly recommend you trying it out.  The food and atmosphere were great!  However, service had little to be desired with our waitress and her dry attitude serving us cokes and waters instead of what I'm sure is her normal table of fancy cocktails and martinis.  Nevertheless, I would go back.  The food is small plates, so you can pick a few things and share, the music is fun (they played Theophilus London, awesome), and the ambiance is trendy and young. Other great things about this place is the fact HH lasts until 8! That means you can actually get to a HH after work! Also, the desserts are AWESOME.  As a baker, that is high praise from me. Table side smores with vanilla and strawberry dipping sauces?  Two of the biggest, softest, and warmest chocolate chip cookies you have ever seen?  Yeah, that's a pretty freaking great dessert.  I plan to visit soon to enjoy some HH refreshments and cookies :)

Have a fantastic weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment