Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thursday Ramblings...


Seriously thought today was Friday because last night felt like a Thursday.  Don't you just hate when that happens?? So I haven't posted anything in such a long while and I feel bad.  I wish I could be one of those really awesome bloggers who keep up with their blog EVERY DAY and post recipes and professional looking pictures of their food, but alas, that is not me.  I have some major downtime at work and thought this would be a great way to fill in some of my time.  There's only so much you can look at on Pinterest, stalk on Facebook or Instagram, read on Twitter and on the blogosphere.  I'm a social media whore, clearly.  I did make a promise to myself though,  that when I turn 30 next year, I will only keep one piece of social media or maybe none at all.  Well the blog will stay. Hopefully.

This past weekend, I had a chance to spend some time at home. No parties, no functions, no friends (i do love you guys), and no bakery orders (I have a bakery for those of you who haven't heard, Sugar Muse Bakery). I spent time in my pajamas.  Oh the power of super comfy pjs...sometimes you just need ME time and laziness.  If you know me pretty well, you know I like to keep SUPER busy.  Not just normal busy, but like "you will never find me at home" sort of busy.  That's just been my way and also happens because I pretty much never say no to any opportunity to do something.  But this time, I said no to everything.  Sometimes, I just need that.  I spent time with my husband, who works a crazy and very ridiculous schedule.  To his annoyance, I complain and whine about it everyday.  I went to bed early every night, spent time cleaning the house, working out, and crafting!  I began two new projects.  I am refinishing an old frame I found in our shoe closet, with fabric and mod podge.  I am really excited to finish it this weekend hopefully and post pictures.  I also cut up old sorority and concert t-shirts into cute work out tank tops.  It was was a DIY, much needed, chill out weekend.  DIY projects seem to give me a sense of accomplishment, much in the same way baking or cooking a challenging meal does.  That's probably why I've already compiled a list of things to attempt in my spare time.  For example, colored jeans.

One more thing before I let you go and you can breathe your sigh of relief that I'm finally done talking...I began Weight Watchers. It has been a little over a week of eating better, the occasional rare indulgence, and going to 5:30am spin classes.  To be honest, I have already begun to notice a difference.  I am happier, energized, and motivated!  I have set 3 goals for myself, a tubing/birthday trip for a close friend coming up at the end of June, South Padre for my husband's 30th birthday in July, and our big cruise/Miami trip in September, which will hopefully be at my goal weight.  I really and truly think that I can do this. Watching my husband melt away 30 lbs in just a few months has motivated me to make a change.  It was time before I hit that slippery slope where turning back was going to become even more of a challenge. Some may scoff at the whole points system that WW so highly promotes, but I have found that it helps me keep myself accountable for what I put into my body, plus I get an awesome discount from work (BONUS).  Another thing that has helped me not spiral into rapid weight gain is thinking twice before buying anything processed.  We have upped our consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables and home cooked meals.  It really does make a difference.  It has been my habit to cook with mostly fresh ingredients in the past, not much canned or processed.  But there were those times I was lazy and made mashed potatoes or mac n' cheese from a box.  Both of which are no more in our house.  If I want either of those things, I will make it from scratch.  It tastes so much better and I control what goes into it.  And I think we can all agree that everything tastes better when you don't have a cardboard after taste.  My husband and I have also become really active, taking lengthy walks together, working out together, and pretty soon we will be attending Bikram yoga again and starting a bicycling club with some friends in Sugarland!  Things like working out become not so scary when you have someone to enjoy it with.

Anyway, I plan to post a recipe I attempted the other night for Bo Luc Lac (Vietnamese Shaking Beef) and Roasted Brussel Sprouts tomorrow.  I am pretty positive it will be another slow day in the office.

Oh! One more thing (I promise, last thing), I would love it if any of you have a recipe to share to be a guest blogger on here.  Shoot me an email :)

No comments:

Post a Comment