Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Fork and Knife Sloppy Joes

I'm back! And I plan on staying :). I apologize to those who take an occasional gander at my blog, and have not seen any new posts the past few months. The blog always crosses my mind, however, my laziness overtook me and I have not posted some very fabulous recipes. Again, I apologize. I do plan to stick around and make this blog a priority! I hope some of you can keep me on the path :).  In an attempt not to skip yet another month of blogging, I am posting this TONIGHT!

Tonight's dinner was a blast from the past...sloppy joes! It has been YEARS since I have had one, and growing up in a Pakistani family, these American favorites were always a treat my mom or I would whip up. These sloppy joes on tonight's post have a little twist, are a little more grown up, and must be eaten with a fork and knife. I experimented with beer this time...I do on occasion cook with wine in my meat sauces and soups, however, never beer. My inspiration came from this past weekend's Saint Arnold's one pot cook-off, and then the same day I ran across this recipe on one of my favorite blogs, Homesick Texan, which also used beer. I figured, hmm, an opportunity to try something new.  I used the basic recipe and technique, however, made my own changes depending on what I had at home already. I limit my trip to the grocery store per day, at the most, twice. Maybe three...

These yummies went over very well with my hubby. They were sweet and savory, the beer gave the meat sauce some depth, spices gave it smokiness, and the cool, creamy guacamole was just perfect for the heat of the sandwich. I served the sandwiches with roasted garlicky asparagus and green beans.

My birthday is coming up in March, and if any of you lovelies would like to get me a thoughtful gift, I would love Homesick Texan's cookbook!


Tweeked Recipe adapted from Homesick Texan's Tex-Mex Sloppy Joe:

Ingredients:
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce (I used 3/4 of the can)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 12 oz. beer (Saint Arnold's pale ale, or any other lager)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 cup cilantro, divided
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt and black pepper to taste
- hamburger buns
- Guacamole, onion, jalapenos, cheese, etc for toppings (Made homemade guacamole)

How-to:
Brown meat in skillet on medium heat, stirring occasionally. Drain excess fat. Add onions and bell pepper and cook until soft. Add garlic and cook for about a minute.

In a large measuring cup, mix together the tomato sauce, oregano, cumin, paprika, chili powder, red chili flakes, and hot sauce.  Pour tomato mixture, beer, ketchup, and 1/2 the cilantro into the meat. Stir well and let simmer.  Cook for 15-20 minutes. Add remaining cilantro and lime juice. Add salt and pepper and additional seasonings to taste. Stir well.

Serve on toasted buns topped with homemade guacamole. Feel free to add additional toppings, but I had just enough energy to make some homemade guacamole.

Grab a knife and fork and get to eating!







No comments:

Post a Comment